Skyline starting midnight (1am) April 12 & May 5 &12

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Perry » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:39 pm

When it's 50 degrees, they move slower than 60+ degrees, if that provides any comfort. I emailed the snake expert that I linked to in the C2C guide, and he said in Palm Springs they were most likely red pacific diamondback and not western diamondback. It's near a transition region on the map. The other end of the Coachella Valley has western. Higher up on skyline it's the speckled rattlesnakes. I was at the Mill Creek Ranger Station a couple years ago, and somebody told me San G has aggressive black snakes with big heads. I've never seen them, nor have I heard about them from any other people.

On another note, it's really fun to go snowshoeing on a full moon. Very easy to see.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:41 pm

And when there's a new moon, that's when the snipes come out. :wink:
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Wedberg » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:12 am

Cy,

Thanks for a great hike up C2C on April 12. It was a pleasure to hike with you and Dave. You guys were great company and a lot of fun to hike with. I enjoyed the midnight start. I'd willingly do it that way again. The view was wonderful all night long and by the time the sun came out we were near the top!

If anybody out there ever gets an opportunity to hike with Cy my advice is don't pass it up! His experience and companionship are first rate. Our hike on Thursday is one I'll never forget.

Thanks again Cy and I'll look forward to another adventure sometime!

All the best,

Kurt
Wedberg

C2C starting at midnight April 12 and May 5 or 12th

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:54 am

Dave and I had a treat hiking with a mountaineer like Kurt. Talk of knowledgeable about all phases of mountaineering. If any of you want to do a challenging peak in the High Sierra or anywhere else, I highly recommend Kurt.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Davis2001r6 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:31 pm

I plan on coming back May 5th for a "Re-Match" , this time hopefully the bar at the tram won't drag me in and I will make it to the top. I plan for an early start as well. We got on at 4:45 last weekend, this time I would like a 1-2am start. It just depends on what time we get into town. Only had about 3-4 hours sleep last time. Hopefully can get a bit more this time.

Seems like over half the people we saw on the trail are all on the board here, that's awesome to have such a small community. Maybe one day I can put a face to some of the names on here.

- Arizona Tim -
Davis2001r6

Skyline starting at midnight - April 12 and May 12

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:02 pm

Tim - I may finally get to meet you. I am thinking of starting at 1 am on May 5th.
Here is a link that some of the more ambitious hikers on this board might find interesting -
http://www.summitpost.org/article/26503 ... dberg.html
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

Postby gonzo411 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:20 pm

just joined the site but have been hiking san jacinto for a few years now. I have attacked it from every side and every time but one gone to the top. I have never done the midnight hikes or started before 7 a.m. for that matter. The all day thing with an evening finish has been my only experience but I am eager to try the early morning thing. might catch you on the trail. I'm the guy whose running it.
gonzo411

Re: Skyline starting at midnight - April 12 and May 12

Postby Davis2001r6 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:44 am

Cy Kaicener wrote:Tim - I may finally get to meet you. I am thinking of starting at 1 am on May 5th.
Here is a link that some of the more ambitious hikers on this board might find interesting -
http://www.summitpost.org/article/26503 ... dberg.html

It would be great to meet you Cyril, how long does it typically take you to get tto the tram? I did it in 7 hours last week, but think I can shave at least 30 minutes off that.

I saw your trip report from the your hike with Kurt W. would be great to meet him as well, heard nothing but good things about him over on the whitneyportalstore forum as well.

-TIM-
Davis2001r6

Skyline starting at midnight - April 12 and May 5 and/or 12

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:26 am

Tim - It usually takes me seven and a half to eight hours to reach the tram.
Kurt is not down this way very often unless its on business. He lives in Bishop and spends most of his time in the High Sierra.
Cy Kaicener

Postby KathyW » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:02 pm

I'm looking at starting at about 1 am on May 12th. The few times I've the trek to Long Valley it has taken me between 7 and 8 hours. I think that if the weather is cool enough I might be able to make it up in a little less than 7 hours if I push it.

Maybe I won't be the only one starting that early on the 12th???
KathyW

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains