About those orange dots...

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Perry » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:23 pm

The first witness left that for the helicopter and ground SAR group. That's the spot where he heard somebody yelling for help.
Perry
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby guest » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:57 am

Zippydude,
It's so much nicer to hike without all the dots, orange or white, so thanks for your effort.
The trail is not that tough to follow if one pays attention, as you know, so we can all work together to keep it beautiful & undisturbed.
Someone drug in another Bighorn sign and layed it just above the metal warning sign at 1,750 ft.

ss

Postby zippetydude » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:15 am

Thanks ss.

I'm hoping to be able to get the upper section in the next week or two. It's beginning to get hot, so I hope to get to them soon. (I'll spend most of the summer weekends up in the cool, refreshing San G wilderness, then come back to Skyline in the fall. Still, I think there'll be a nice weekend or two left to let me finish the job.)

Incidentally, it lists you as "guest" but you sign as "ss". Which do you prefer?

z
zippetydude

Postby Davis2001r6 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:50 pm

Do we know who actually marked the trail to begin with? I did the trail for the first time a few weeks ago, with the 4am start time the first couple hours were dark, the dots reflected a bit near the museum end, there seemed to be tons of spur trails there, so honestly I was glad to see the dots. Same thing with the upper portion, I did start to notice some cairns up there, which I'm used to seeing in AZ.

Was there a large amount of people getting lost in places warranting rescues, or just some yahoo marking the trail?
Davis2001r6

Postby Perry » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:45 pm

Some anonymous yahoo.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Davis2001r6 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:50 pm

Just curious how are you removing the dots?
Davis2001r6

Postby Mountaingoat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:03 pm

Did Ramon Rd. to Tram yesterday. Started at 6:30 arrived at Tram at
12:30 with a 45 minute break at flat rock. I do this about 6 times a year. Try sometimes to make it to the peak. Yesterday wasn't the day.
Anyway, I don't think any dots orange, green, or white are needed on the trail, if you pay attention, until you reach the part at about 7950' just below the coffman crag. Every spring that area (after alot of snowfall) not this year gets very confusing. I did appreciate all the cairns that were placed in strategic spots yesterday!
Will probably do the hike again in 2 weeks, or maybe the other side Idyllwild to peak via Deer springs.

As we say in german "Hals und Beinbruch"!!
Mountaingoat

dots

Postby guest » Wed May 02, 2007 11:16 am

Hi Zippydude,
You can call me ss if you want, the locals know me, but I keep a low profile.
I've scraped a few off w/ rocks, as I've done with a couple grafetti's on the trees, but I generally go hard & fast like you do often.

Postby tkvance » Fri May 04, 2007 10:52 am

I agree, this is an outdoors area. No dots needed. Bring a compass and a map. If you get lost, brush up on your outdoor orienteering skills. Next we'll see a rope staked into the ground, just hold on till you get to the top......
tkvance

Postby LAMike » Fri May 04, 2007 11:20 am

tkvance wrote:I agree, this is an outdoors area. No dots needed. Bring a compass and a map. If you get lost, brush up on your outdoor orienteering skills. Next we'll see a rope staked into the ground, just hold on till you get to the top......

I completely Agree with TK! We should pave steps into the trail and add a handrail so that more people can enjoy this path! :D
LAMike

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains