About those orange dots...

General Palm Springs area.

About those orange dots...

Postby zippetydude » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:52 am

Two comments.

First, it's my opinion that any painting up on Skyline is ugly and inappropriate, and should be removed or covered up. If I have a chance to go tomorrow, I'll see if I can do something about them.

Second, it's my guess that the person who painted them, just like the person who had painted the white dots, is probably just trying to help out. If the need is removed, the painting will probably cease.

Most of us have had a little trouble finding the way up at the traverses, and a clear series of cairns would be very helpful without being unsightly like the paint. If people going through the area will help out by putting up some cairns, then the path will be both clean and clear for all travelers.

Just a thought.

By the way, looks like I'll probaby have a chance to meet a bunch of you up there. Happy Hiking!

z
zippetydude

Postby AlanK » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:17 am

Z -- I agree with you. I would make an exception for the famous painted sign on the big rock a couple of miles into the hike. It's part of C2C lore.

AlanK

Postby zippetydude » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:58 pm

I have a picture next to that rock as well!

They should have painted, "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate"

That's Dante's "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.", but it looks cool and mysterious in the original Tuscan dialect.

z
zippetydude

Postby magikwalt » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:44 pm

Rock piles would be great up above the traverse. Anything to help a one eyed fat man find his way up. I agree there is too much paint on obvious portions of the trail from bottom to top. I have taken to placing sticks and rocks at wrong turns above flat rock just to remind myself.
magikwalt

Postby antler » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:26 pm

what a great screen name...one_eyed_fat_man
antler

Postby antler » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:28 pm

just kidding...i admire your efforts to lose weight and get in shape. I am trying to lose 20 pounds from 220 to 200.

Hike up! The world's about to end!
antler

Postby KathyW » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:23 pm

I saw the orange dots today - maybe they shouldn't be thre, but they aren't as bad as all the white paint along the lower portion of the trail.
KathyW

Postby zippetydude » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:35 pm

Well, I got about 1/2 the dots to disappear on Saturday. I didn't know they were on the lower trail as well, so I ran out of supplies.

I think that top section is particularly bad - orange against the pure, bluish grey of the granite makes a real eyesore.

Like I mentioned before, if anyone feels like building a few cairns each time they pass through, it will probably let our orange dot friend feel free to leave the dots behind.

z
zippetydude

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:48 am

thank you so much for removing some of these dots, Zip! That is awesome!

Murray Peak area has some trail markers that are cut out of metal--they have weathered and look attractive (at least, to me--what do others think?), plus are indestructible. Having one or two of those at key turns where people often get lost, or, as Grandmaster suggested, a couple of elevation signs, might not be a bad idea. anyone know a metalsmith? Anything but orange dots ...
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Orange Panel Marker

Postby magikwalt » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:07 pm

Speaking of orange...I saw what looked like an orange marker panel a little off trail about 2300-2400ft or so early in the week. Looked like it could have been an orange safety vest weighted with a couple rocks.

Cynthia did you mountain rescue folks leave a panel out to mark the location for air spotters?
magikwalt

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains