Rattlers!

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Perry » Thu May 10, 2007 11:22 am

You mean the herbal tea? Email... :D
Perry
Site Admin

yes

Postby guest » Thu May 10, 2007 12:42 pm

Yeah, I gain much clarity & can commune with nature (i.e. buss-tails) much better with herb...tea!
It sure stinks up the kitchen though.

ss

Rattlers + tea

Postby Ellen » Thu May 10, 2007 5:51 pm

Howdy Guest :D

I'm with Z-dude, I should try your evening tea. If I my mental clarity doesn't improve, at least I won't care whether or not there are buzztails on the trail :lol:

I think I ran across one of the same rattlers you encountered (re: your May 7, 2007 post) when I hiked Skyline on April 7. I was the first person on the trail that day until Z-dude caught me around 7,000 ft.

One buzztail was on the trail shortly after Flat Rock. Just about the time I felt safe (~7,000 ft) I heard a rattle in a manzanita bush off to my right. I couldn't see the snake but knew it had to be a big one based on the loudness of the rattle.

I didn't see any ratlers last Saturday (May 5) but it wasn't as hot and lots of people passed me before Flat Rock. Based on MagikWalt's sighting, I fear they'll be having a buzztail convention on Skyline this weekend.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
(Who will keep her eyes open :shock: AND make sure someone else is first on the trail above Flat Rock :lol:
Ellen

Postby phydeux » Thu May 10, 2007 8:48 pm

If you're really worried about rattlers, maybe these gaiters will bring you some piece of mind:

https://www.turtleskin.com/store/Produc ... =SAGAITERS

I've got a hunter friend who swears by these gaiters. Kind of pricey, but cheaper than a visit to the emergency room.
phydeux

Postby zippetydude » Fri May 11, 2007 8:47 am

I wish I had known about these before. I got a pair of regular ones, and they're so stiff they seem more like a bullet proof fabric. I would think a fairly thin but resistant fabric would work - like the ones you posted.

I understand that some people are getting their dogs immunized to snake venom. I wish they would offer something like that for us humans - even if it cost a couple hundred dollars, it would sure beat a trip to Venom ER.

z
zippetydude

Postby magikwalt » Mon May 14, 2007 5:29 am

If I understand it correctly the human body becomes allergic to the serum after one or two uses of antivenom.
magikwalt

Have there been that many actual bites?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon May 14, 2007 7:33 am

Have there been that many actual bites on the C2C? Rattlers are defiitely disconcerting, but my experience is that they are just that -- disconcerting, and that they seldom actually strike unless you step on them or the bush they're in or something like that. It seems, following the posts here, that C2C is singurlarly "blessed" by rattlers, but have there been actual bites to the degree that people are really at risk? Seems uncharacteristic.

By the way, the gaiters from a couple of posts back actually seem pretty cool. Heck, maybe they'd be good for just plain old buckthorn and the like.
Hikin_Jim

rattlers

Postby guest » Mon May 14, 2007 9:56 am

Hi Jim,
After 15 yrs on Skyline & a local, I know of no bites by rattlers. You are correct that they are not aggressive, and only attack if cornered or very threatened. Yes, some are more "angry" than others, if they have already been distrubed by perious hikers (see my post on my 1st C2C), then we may be more at risk.
All the more reason the pay attention,(look ahead often, not just at ones next step).
My knowledge is way over 90% of people biten survive, plus we have experienced docs here, and especially Dr. Shawn Bush from Loma Linda, plus improved anti venom (Profab).
Thanks for the info on USGS & elavations.

A route I take to the peak has some "witness makings" on 3 trees, done during the original survey (1930's?) where they craved #'s into the trees to triangulate the corner.

ss

Postby magikwalt » Mon May 14, 2007 6:34 pm

For about $15.00 I decided to carry a Sawyer Snake Bite kit with me. Pretty small, pretty simple and it will give me something to do while I'm crying and wondering what the hell is taking the helo so long.
magikwalt

snakes

Postby guest » Wed May 16, 2007 10:16 am

Hi Magicwalt,
Thats not such a bad idea, but if it's the kit I'm thinking of, the suction devise is the important piece, and you need to use it w/in seconds, or the venom is long into the bloodstream.
Rattlers don't always give a human a full does,(sometimes the yound, dumb ones do, hence the urban legend that their 's is more potent) so,if one is unlucky enough to get bit, maybe they will be lucky to not a get a full load!

One should try to remember what the snake looks like, as there are at least 6 different ones around this area, and the treatment can vary.
Personally, I find them beautiful, amazing creatures, even if they can instantly bumb my heart by 20 bpm!
Happy hiking
ss

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains