Rattlers!

General Palm Springs area.

Rattlers!

Postby zippetydude » Sat May 13, 2006 5:09 pm

Just a note - I did Skyline on Wednesday and today (Saturday) and both times saw good sized rattlesnakes sunning themselves in the middle of the trail. One was at about 6400' elevation (just above slick rock, (or flat rock, whatever you usually call it), and one was up above 7000 feet, so they're out in force, even at higher stretches of the trail.

By the way, the one at 6400' was long and slender (maybe 6' long and about as big around as a person's wrist), whereas the one at 7000 was a fat little guy about 3' long, but just as big around as the 6' long fellow. Does anyone know if being kinda thick around the middle is due to being well fed (like me, unfortunately) or if it's merely a species difference?

The chubby guy at higher altitude also had attitude. I've never heard one rattle so adamantly, and he even moved toward me just to make a point as he exited the trail. :twisted: Feisty little dude. Is that characteristic of a certain species of rattler?

z
zippetydude

Rattlers

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat May 13, 2006 6:34 pm

Zippetydude - I was also on the trail today. Thanks for scaring away the rattlers for me. I never saw any. I was passed by a fattish guy without a shirt. Is that the same guy you saw. A couple and three lone guys passed me on the trail. One guy knew my name but I didn't know his. Was that you?
Someone called Duane said he was going to do the peak today. He could have pased me too.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Rattlers

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon May 07, 2007 8:30 am

Everything you wanted to know about rattlers and were afraid to ask.
http://www.summitpost.org/article/28961 ... s-Fly.html
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

buzztails

Postby guest » Mon May 07, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi Zip,
I seen rattlers 2 wks in a row at 7k, they are Speckled Rattlers, comoflauge excellently, and can be agressive if provoked. We may have eyed the same one, as he was rattling, (a Good thing) to warn me, someone before must have irritated him by mistake before me.

There venom can be quite potent, especially if given a large does (it varies for bit to bite).

Sat I saw 3 gartersnakes between 2,500 & 5,500, just a glint of simmering speed.

ss

Postby Perry » Mon May 07, 2007 7:44 pm

Scott, you are speaking to a former Zip. Cy dug up a thread that is one year old. :D
Perry
Site Admin

Postby zippetydude » Mon May 07, 2007 10:03 pm

I had noticed the dates being almost identical and wondered if it would cause confusion. I'm glad for the recent postings, though, so I know to be very aware, and it seems to be especially this time of year that they come out.

z

Ps Ellen, keep your eyes open wide! :shock:
zippetydude

what's a year!

Postby guest » Tue May 08, 2007 6:49 pm

Thxs Perry, maybe a bit of house cleanin on the really old junk, so I don't get confused after my "evening tea"!

ss

Postby Perry » Tue May 08, 2007 6:52 pm

but you might pick up on things you didn't notice before... ;)
Perry
Site Admin

Postby zippetydude » Tue May 08, 2007 10:10 pm

Forget Perry's endurance formula, I want a sample of that tea!

z
zippetydude

Postby magikwalt » Thu May 10, 2007 4:44 am

I came across a 4 footer Wed evening at 6:30pm on Lykken about 2 minutes south of the Mesquite picnic tables. My hiking poles drew his initial reponse and gave me time to clear the area. Sure gave me something to think about during the rest of the hike.
magikwalt

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains