Snow creek conditions?

General Palm Springs area.

Snow creek conditions?

Postby phalc » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:27 pm

Anyone have recent info on snow level or just a picture from the north of snow creek? Considering a climb in about a week. Thanks
phalc
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:26 pm

Re: Snow creek conditions?

Postby Dunning Kruger » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:29 pm

I'm planning on hiking in to the Chockstone this weekend- I'll report back Sunday night.

The plan is to go to the top in 3 or 4 weeks, conditions permitting.
Dunning Kruger
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 7:00 pm

Re: Snow creek conditions?

Postby phalc » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:00 am

Did you go up in the storm?
phalc
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:26 pm

Re: Snow creek conditions?

Postby Dunning Kruger » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:36 pm

Made it to Falls Creek on Saturday, having done much work on an alternate, legal trail on the way in and had a nice camp there. Gathering storm clouds and mountain lion hanging around down at the creek meant a timely retreat on Sunday morning.

Not using the isthmus trail on the way in meant limited views. What I could see, indicated broken snow fields with many exposed patches of rock above the Chockstone. Unless some major storm activity occurs between now and April- its next season for me.

I found a nice bouldering circuit on the way in so I may head back in two weeks to boulder and take a few hi-res photos from the I-10. Unfortunately the mountain was obscured by the storm when I drove out on Sunday.
Attachments
20200210_132607.jpg
Dunning Kruger
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 7:00 pm

Re: Snow creek conditions?

Postby phalc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:09 am

I made an attempt Tuesday and made it just above the chockstone. GPX file. I took the arduous legal route and reached the creek proper in just under 6 hours. There was 1-2" of new snow on the rocks turning class 3 into insecure mixed climbing. I took the class 3 bypass of the chockstone but only found broken small snowfields above. I put the odds at about 50% of the new snow on the upper mountain being stable enough to feel good about and with how long it would take to downclimb those rock pitches if I had to bail from 8000+ ft I was looking at a serious epic. Also, the upper 1000 ft looked pretty dry and it would be harrowing to get stuck on rock in the steeps near the summit. I turned around at this verglas-covered boulder at about 6200 ft. I agree that it needs some spring storms to be feasible this year.

Dunning Kruger, I'm curious about your alternate route. Care to share a gpx file? I think I saw the tracks from a big cat, too.
Attachments
sc.jpg
Where I decided to bail
phalc
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:26 pm

Re: Snow creek conditions?

Postby Dunning Kruger » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:22 pm

Nice effort!
It's very repeatable, in and out every time with great parking. Feel free to email me for the file.

drewalldredge@gmail.com
Attachments
20200214_141252.jpg
Dunning Kruger
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 7:00 pm


Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron