Checklist for Skyline Trail With Optional C2C

General Palm Springs area.

Re: Checklist for Skyline Trail With Optional C2C

Postby Sally » Wed May 17, 2017 1:30 pm

It has been my belief for some time for So Cal Boy Scouts to take firestarter off their list of ten essentials and add duct tape. Among its many uses are: repairs (footwear, packs, clothing, etc. I actually successfully duct taped a microspike with broken rubber on San Bernardino Peak Trail), first aid (closing a wound, attaching a splint, blisters), and if you are hiking with someone who talks too much you can tape their mouth shut. (Uh-oh, sometimes I talk a lot, don't get any ideas!)
Sally

Postby Ellen » Wed May 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Howdy Sister Sally :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously folks, she doesn't talk too much.

Hugs,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby XtremelyInspired » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:56 pm

May 31st Ascent of Skyline Trail Completed Safely.

I started the hike at 1 AM, but it was still very warm out from the day before. Fortunately, it was overcast and cloudy out most of the day. The weather conditions could not have been better!

It took me and a friend eleven hours to hike to Long Valley from the Art Museum. I am 49 years old, 6' 2", and weigh 230 pounds. I trained intermittently before this climb and was not fully in shape for my age and current weight. My knee was throbbing badly by the time I got to the steep switchbacks just before Long Valley, and I suffered from a minor blister high on my right heal. Losing twenty to thirty pounds may help reduce the strain on my knees. In comparison, when I was 47 years old and weighed only 218 pounds, it took me ten hours to reach Long Valley from Ramon.

The key take away from this climb was that it was extremely important to begin the climb around midnight. In my current condition, it may have been even better to start the climb at 10 to 11 PM rather than at 1 AM to make sure that I was at over 6500 feet of elevation when it started heating up.

Notes: The gate up to the Tram was closed. We had to park near the Visitors Center, and take an Uber ride down the hill after the climb. The WiFi at Mountain Station was not working for me. So, I had to quickly order the Uber ride while riding down on the tram when I still had a mobile data connection available. I put the destination for Uber driver as the Art Museum. So, the Uber driver could make a few extra bucks and could justify the expense of driving up the road to the Tram Station.
Last edited by XtremelyInspired on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
XtremelyInspired

Postby guest » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:00 am

Congrats on another successful trip up the mt. I think it's tougher for folks that take longer, since their just spending a lot of time hiking, staying fueled and hydrated etc.
Glad it went well. I realize many have scheduled only allow for early summer treks up Skyline, but starting so early, you miss seeing most of the trail!

Happy hiking, ss

Postby XtremelyInspired » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:56 pm

"Body found while searching for missing hiker in Palm Springs"
Colin Atagi , The Desert Sun Published 10:41 a.m. PT June 6, 2017
http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/201 ... 374386001/
"On May 28, four rescues occurred in the San Jacinto Mountains after a dozen people got lost or injured."

"Uncalculated tragedy"
DURING THE SUMMER HEAT, HIKERS CONTINUE TO TAKE ON THE SKYLINE TRAIL, BUT SOME DON'T LIVE TO WARN OF THEIR MISTAKES.
'You can't fix stupid'
Nathan Brown , The Desert Sun
7/30/2015
http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/201 ... /30886951/

"Nine hikers rescued from Mount San Jacinto Saturday"
Colin Atagi , The Desert Sun Published 7:46 a.m. PT March 6, 2017
http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/env ... /98801628/
XtremelyInspired

Postby Ed » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:10 am

I've always been able to make a cell phone connection from the deck, or a window seat in the cafeteria.

Time for Cynthia's annual summer warning? I always enjoy reading it.
Ed

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains