Another Skyline Rescue

General Palm Springs area.

Another Skyline Rescue

Postby neverwashasbeen » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:46 pm

The Palm Springs Mounted Police posted on their Facebook page that a lost hiker was rescued today at around the 8,600 foot level, seemed hypothermic and was taken to the hospital. I didn't see any other details.
Happy Trails!
neverwashasbeen

Re: Another Skyline Rescue

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:36 am

. The elevation of the mountain station is 8512 feet so 8600 ft does not seem accurate
Here is the text from facebook
On March 13, at approximately 3:20 pm, the Palm Springs Mounted Police Search and Rescue were dispatched for a lost hiker on the Skyline Trail. The San Jacinto State Park Rangers were also alerted of the hiker and were responding to assist. The lost hiker was located at about the 8,600-foot level by the California Highway Patrol Helicopter (H-60) and seemed to be hypothermic. The crew members were able to safely hoist the hiker into the helicopter and fly him to the landing zone. The hiker was evaluated by the Palm Springs Fire Department and was then transported to a local hospital by AMR.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby kwilliams508 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:13 pm

The information on the Palm Springs Mounted Police facebook page is accurate. The hiker was located to the North West of the Mountain Station very far off trail and in a very tough spot.
kwilliams508

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Thank you for the information. We are lucky to have them around
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

Postby Ellen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:36 pm

Howdy All,

Looks like there were two rescues -- one on March 13 and one yesterday (March 14).

https://www.facebook.com/Palm-Springs-M ... 404612601/

I'm avoiding Skyline until the regular route is broken in.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:57 pm

Also want to point out we're having an extraordinary run of 90 plus temps on valley floor. This Saturday forecast is for ninety three. It's still early enough in year that temps will cool off as you rise, but hikers will be tired out by these unnaturally high temps on the lower portions of the trail, and that in turn affects their ability to cope with the icy and strenuous upper portions. Also, a unplanned retreat when it's in the high nineties is quite hazardous. We have already had some heat exhaustion rescues on our lower valley trails. A very early (i.e. 4 am-ish) start and plenty of fluids are essential, and I'd even recommend waiting a week or two until temps get somewhat more normal..
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby guest » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi,
There's been even more SAR's mission for Skyline, let's start handing out door prizes.
According to KWilliams info, that person must have somehow made it across the knarly Coffman Craig drainage, where it gets even shittier I do believe.

I heard info that folks were following a bad track of prints / trail & landing way off trail, (which there is none I'd imagine currently). This happens on years of much snow.
Some head up a steep chute before Coffman, (I've been there in a storm), and find that class 4+ awaits, after being knackered to get there.

It may be getting hot in the desert, but there's sections on the upper portions that get little sun & can hold very deep drifts, (fatigue city).

Wanna learn real mountaineering skills, hike Skyline now w/out a cell phone!!

ss

Postby Ed » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:21 am

It does not puzzle me that a first-timer on Skyline can get lost in the snow. It does puzzle me that they could cross the tram line.
Ed

Postby cynthia23 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:58 pm

I know, I was blown away by that too Ed, and like Guest, I'm also just utterly amazed they crossed that drainage. But maybe it can be explained by the mental confusion caused by fatigue and a higher altitude. I have certainly made (more than) my share of questionable decisions under those situations.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:03 pm

The latest Skyline rescue alert -- https://www.facebook.com/Palm-Springs-M ... S_TIMELINE

On March 18, at approximately 4:50am, the Palm Springs Mounted Police Search and Rescue were called out to find a lost hiker on the Skyline trail. The hiker did not have a cell phone and was off trail. PSMP-SAR members hiked up the mountain while the RSO Aviation Unit (Star 90) assisted in the search from above. Eventually the hiker made his way down the mountain and safely reached aid.
Cy Kaicener

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains